National Dog Biscuit Day 2017 is tomorrow and while I’m sure you’ve already marked your calendar, your friends here at Paw Spa wanted to remind you and share a few of our favorite recipes for homemade dog biscuits.
Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.
Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Biscuits
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Stir together the egg, peanut butter, banana, and honey in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly. Stir in the flour and wheat germ; mix well. Turn dough out onto a floured board and roll to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter, place on prepared baking sheet, and brush tops with egg white.
- Bake biscuits in preheated oven until dried and golden brown, about 30 minutes, depending on size. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Oatmeal Dog Cookies
- 2 cups +1/2 half cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsalted, low-fat beef broth or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add 2 cups oats, salt, beef broth, and egg to a large mixing bowl. Combine well. Add remaining ½ cup of rolled oat and combine.
- Pour onto wax paper and knead dough for about 3 minutes. Let stand for about 3 minutes to begin to become firmer. Press to ½-inch thickness.
- Cut with cutter and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for use or store in a Ziptop bag in the freezer for later thawing and use.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds beef liver, cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 10×15 inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper.
- Place the liver into a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. If you have room, add the flour and eggs, and process until smooth. Otherwise, transfer to a bowl, and stir in the flour and eggs using a wooden spoon. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the center is firm. Cool, and cut into squares using a pizza cutter. The treats will have a consistency similar to a sponge. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Bacon Flavored Dog Biscuits
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons bacon fat, melted
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in milk, water, salt, and bacon fat until well blended. Gradually stir in flour to make a stiff dough. Pinch off pieces of the dough and roll into 2 inch balls. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on racks. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Let us know if you’ve tried any homemade dog biscuits for National Dog Biscuit Day 2017 and what your favorite recipe is!
Remember: Connect with The Paw Spa on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest to learn more about our Tulsa groomers and for more pet-friendly recipes, tips and tricks for your four-legged friend!